• Joe Mulligan
    December 12, 2017 at 3:43 am #2829

Hi All,

I’m thinking about an Evasion with White Ind 1×11 cranks and 650b wheels. I want to use this for fire roads and light bikepacking, but the reality may be more road miles. How would this do at the Hell of the Hunterdon in NJ (20% dirt/gravel) and also the D2R2 in MA (80% dirt/gravel?)

Should I stick with White Ind M30 Mountain cranks or would the G30 Gravel/adventure cranks do better? I’m thinking of getting a larger front ring either way.

Could I use the Compass 650B x 48 Switchback Hill TC for roads and the WTB Ranger 27.5″x2.25″ for dirt?

I want to make sure whichever crust frame I choose that it’s used for the best intention/design usage, yet I think my needs are on both sides of the road/dirt. thanks for your help!

Joe

Matt.
    December 21, 2017 at 10:06 pm #3008

Hey Joe,

If you have the M30 Cranks stick with them for sure. I would see no benefit in switching.
    For What you have described the Dreamer would be the ideal candidate, however if you think you are going to want some wider rubber one day then the Evasion would also work great and has been used in the D2R2.

Thanks.
    Matt

Joe Mulligan
    December 22, 2017 at 3:04 am #3053

thanks for the sage advice Matt! I was checking out the Dreamer too, so it is a tough decision. I want the freedom of the highest profile tires to truly know what supple is, so I might do the Evasion. Also because of the rad 90s-surf sunset fade.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.