• tz Williams
    July 2, 2017 at 9:06 am #784

Hi there.
    I really like this bike. I’m looking for something to load up and go on hobo camp trips and fishing trips mostly on fire roads, but also something pretty good on pavement or around town. Do you think this bike is what I’m looking for?
    Looking though people’s builds of this bike I notice that it doesn’t look like much of a rear rack is ever installed and it seems like the front rack is where people put the bulk of their gear. Can this bike take a more substantial rear rack that you see in more traditional touring bikes ?

Also what diameter wheels do you suggest using ?

That’s so much !

Dan @hobocross
    July 6, 2017 at 3:27 pm #801

Hey TZ,

If I had to pick one bike to do everything, I think the Evasion would be the one. It’s probably a bit overbuilt for just riding around town, but if you think you’ll be loading it up pretty regularly, I think the Evasion can handle that better than just about anything else out there right now. The trend these days is rackless, particularly in the back where the weight of rear panniers causes the bike to wag around. Also, they can get in the way when you’re pushing the bike through rough stuff. But if that’s the way to want to go, the Evasion should be able to handle that well. There is a pair of hidden mounts on the inside of the seatstay that can give you some additional options for mounting racks.

The wheel size question is a big one… I went for 650b/27.5″ and narrower ~2.65″ tires. Works great but there are good reasons to consider 26″ too.

tz Williams
    July 6, 2017 at 5:41 pm #804

Thanks. Do 29″ wheels fit this bike?

Dan @hobocross
    July 6, 2017 at 5:55 pm #805

Here’s a chart where you can compare the diameter of different wheel sizes: http://www.bikecalc.com/wheel_size_math

I think the diameter for 26″x3″ is around 711mm.

There’s a lot of clearance on the Evasion so you could probably go with a narrower 29″ tire but you should keep in mind that the standover will increase as will the likelihood of toe overlap as you go up in width. It will also change the handling. Personally, I think 27.5″ strikes a good balance for mixed on/off road with reasonably fat tires. And 26″ is pretty sweet if you’re planning on running fat tires or if you want a lower bottom bracket height for more of a traditional touring setup.

tz Williams
    July 6, 2017 at 6:51 pm #806

Awesome thank you. Do you know anywhere in the Bay Area where I could ride a crust evasion?

Matt.
    August 23, 2017 at 3:18 pm #2155

Sorry there are no dealers anywhere on the west coast at the moment.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  Matt..

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.