• Daniel Stamey
    August 4, 2017 at 2:38 pm #2084

Is this frame okay for single speed? Also does going single speed really save time and money as far as repairs go? You’ll find me on touring trails in the mountains mostly. Is 2:1 an okay ratio for climbing? Or do I just need to experiment before day 1 of touring.

Daniel Stamey
    August 4, 2017 at 2:40 pm #2085

Also I’m going to be on 27.5” wheels

Eric Owsley
    September 8, 2017 at 12:18 pm #2196

Daniel,

I’m a huge convert to the singlespeed for all types of riding. My main rig is now a singlespeed fat bike and I couldn’t be happier on mountainous trails. I would think for touring you might want to investigate a dinglespeed setup, with two chainrings and two cogs (look at White Industries Double/Double), with two counts to allow you to switch between a road-ish gear and a trail gear with a simple manual shift of the chain.

I just had a fantastic set of Velocity Dually 27.5 rims laced to Paul Disc hubs to go on a new Evasion to do this exact thing. My size large Evasion frame is due to arrive in the next two weeks.

I began this build 4 months ago. In the intervening time, I’ve had a few competing budgetary alternatives crop up. I’m actually looking to offload both my brand spanking new wheelset and as-yet-to-be-delivered frameset. If you’re interested, please let me know. Anyone else in the chatroom is also welcome to inquire.

Thanks,
    Eric

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.